Name: Lorenzo Morales
Ship: San Juan Nepomuceno
Birth: Aguimes, Gran Canaria
Wife: Josefa Rodriguez
Lorenzo left Santa Cruz, Tenerife in Dec 9, 1778 sailing on the San Juan Nepomuceno and landed in New Orleans on July 1779 with his children, Francisco, Vicente, Miguel, Ines and Sebastiana.1 He arrived at the Galveztown settlement. Lorenzo is believed to have been married first to "Ysabel (Morales)" before traveling to Louisiana with Josefa Rodriguez. She is believed to have passed away before 1778.6
He was shown on the TBD census in TBD.
His name can be found spelled Lorenzo Morales and her name can be found spelled Josefa Rodriguez in the 1779 ship list and in the marriage investigation of his daughter Sebastiana in 1787.1,4
He passed away before 1797.6
- Francisco (b. 1763)
- Vicente (b. 1763)
- Miguel (b. 1776)
- Ines (b. 1761)
- Sebastiana (b. 1770)
Daughter Sebastiana married political and military commander Patricio Melo on April 14, 1787 in Galveztown.4,5 She lists her family is from Aguimes, Gran Canaria and she was baptized at the church of San Sebastian.5 Sebastiana remarries Jose Antonio Masias on 3 May 1792 in St. Gabriel.3 Many of their children stay in Galveztown and St.Gabriel.
- NOTE: Many Galveztown residents had their sacraments at the church in St. Gabriel, Iberville Parish due to a variety of reasons, mainly because of the Galveztown church's disrepair due to flooding and hurricanes.
- Gilbert C. Din, The Canary Islanders of Louisiana, Louisiana State University Press, p220, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Edith Garland Dupre Library, PO Box 40199, Lafayette LA 70504.
- Surveyors Maps of the District of Galveston, Louisiana. 1793-1794. Box 3e487, Folder 4
- Diocese of Baton Rouge Church Records. Vol 3.
- St. Bernard Parish Church, Galveztown, LA, GAL-BMF 1783-1803. GAL-BMF 30-91
- St. Bernard Parish Church, Galveztown, LA, GAL-BMF 1783-1803. GAL-BMF 42/43-102
- St. Bernard Parish Church, Galveztown, LA, GAL-BMF 1783-1803. GAL-BMF 52-114